Gruesome: Authorities were called to an Illinois supermarket to rescue a man whose arm was stuck in a meat grinder
A gruesome scene unfolded at a local Illinois supermarket when authorities were called in to rescue a man who got his arm stuck in a meat grinder.
When members of the Orland Park Fire Department arrived at the scene of the grisly accident, they were shocked to discover a middle-aged store employee with more than half his arm caught in the machine.
Battalion chief Mike Schofield told ABC News that in his 35 years at the department, he had ‘never seen anything like this, other thank watching T.V. shows.’
Though apt, based on witness accounts, it seems that ‘horror movie’ would be a better comparison.
According to Schofield, the man’s was caught so deeply in the gears of the machine that first responders were unable to remove his arm even after dismantling some of the device.
They were hesitant to take apart the entire machine any more for fear of taking off part of his arm.
While the victim was clearly in immense pain, Schofield explained that there wasn’t very much blood at the scene, because the grinder apparently cut of much of the circulation in his arm.
“There wasn’t a lot of blood because his hand was so tight in the meat grinder it almost acted like a tourniquet,” Schofield said.
Realizing that not much more could be done at the supermarket, paramedics took the man to the hospital with part of the device still attached to his arm.
Once there, they decided the only way to extricate the man’s arms from the grinder was by using what Schofield described as a miniature version of the Jaws of Life, the same tool firefighters use to shear through car doors and other metal objects.
“There’s a miniature hydraulic tool that we use to extract smaller items,’ he said. ‘It’s like the jaws of life but it’s a smaller version, so we used it to cut the metal apart and peel back the grinder. That took approximately 20 minutes to do.’
Crushed: Paramedics and doctors had to use a miniature version of the Jaws of Life to cut through the meat grinder.
Schofield said that during the process the man remained relatively calm, despite being in a great deal of pain.
“He was just praying. He was pretty sedated, but he was still in pain,” he said. “We had two paramedics constantly talking to him, reassuring him. We explained every step we were going to do. He was able to tell us when it hurt too much and we were able to back off and the doctors were providing pain medicine for him.”
After firefighters and doctors managed to get the grinder off, pressure returned to the man’s arm and he began bleeding profusely. He was quickly taken of to surgery to repair the damage.
Schofield said that the man’s arm was ‘OK’ but guessed that his hand would be heavily damaged. There were no more updates on the man’s condition.